Export Controls for Researchers


If one of the exclusions does not apply, and information or equipment is to be exported to foreign nationals in the U.S. or transferred abroad, then a license may be required.  Failure to obtain a required license can carry criminal penalties. 

If you believe you may need a license or are not sure and have questions, contact the Director of Corporate Contracts and Export Control Licensing as soon as possible.  It can take months from submission before the agency issues a decision, and applications are sometimes denied. 

Additional resources:

Yale Office of Research Administration Guidelines on Export Controls

Researcher’s Export Control Checklist

Previous     <<<< >>>>     Next