Hosting International Visitors on Campus


Two campus resources for assistance with visas are Yale Travel Management and the Office of International Students and Scholars.  It is important to consider the following details when determining whether a visa is required and what steps to take: 

Citizenship will impact whether a US visa is required and which visa services are available to assist:

  • CIBT provides discounted visa services for foreign nationals from Canada, UK, Switzerland, France, Australia, Singapore, Benelux, Germany and Spain.
  • Foreign nationals from other countries can find visa requirement information from the U.S. consulate in their home country.
  • Another resource for information about visa requirements is Project Visa (verify data with appropriate US consulate).
  • Citizenship can also impact whether a visitor may need a transit visa, depending upon their travel plans.

Scope of activities during visit, in particular whether the visitor(s) will receive any payment (eg., stipend or honoraria), will impact what kind of visa is required.  It is important to research the visa type in advance.  Campus resources include:

  • International Payment Tool is an online comprehensive guide provided by the University Tax Department on making payments to non-U.S. citizens and non-U.S. permanent residents.  The Tool describes the documents required prior to making payments to non-U.S. citizens and non-U.S. permanent residents and what kinds of activities and payments are allowed under specific visa types.  Any questions regarding this site should be sent to Daysi Cardona, International Tax Coordinator at or (203) 432-5597.
  • Yale’s Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) can provide assistance with inbound visa questions.  Visit the OISS website for visa invitation letter examples.