How do I know if my international research and education activities could be subject to U.S. export and related regulations?

Export activity that occurs in the course of travel, research collaborations, or expenditures (as well as the actual transfer of research results, data, equipment, or materials) outside of the U.S. may create export control concerns for the University and members of the University community.  Export controls are U.S. laws which regulate the “export” of certain controlled technologies, services, and information to foreign nationals, foreign entities or foreign countries for reasons of national security and foreign policy.  An export could be the actual shipment outside of the U.S. of controlled equipment or materials or the disclosure of information or technical data related to controlled equipment or materials outside the U.S or inside the U.S. to a foreign national.  “Technology transfer” activities which could trigger export control concerns include scientific, engineering and academic exchanges, and international meetings and visits.

The U.S. also regulates export activity through targeted restrictions administered by the Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Controls (OFAC).  Certain kinds of transactions with certain individuals, entities, and countries (e.g., Cuba, Iran, N. Korea, Syria, or the Crimea, Luhansk, or Donetsk regions of Ukraine/Russia) are prohibited without a license from the U.S. government, unless an exception applies.

The University has administrators in the Office of Research Administration (contact, who can help faculty and staff determine if their research and educational activities involve technologies or transactions subject to U.S. export controls and sanctions programs.

For specific guidance please go to Guidelines on Export Controls. For information on international shipments of hazardous materials go to Yale Environmental Health & Safety.

Please be aware that the laws of countries other than the U.S. may govern your activities and may provide additional import or export restrictions. It is your responsibility to obtain relevant information applicable to your activities and then to follow up with the Office of Research Administration or the Office of the General Counsel for advice.

Updated: 2-22-22