Meeting cash needs while overseas

University employees should avoid carrying cash beyond that necessary for immediate and ordinary personal expenses while traveling. Please see Obtaining Cash for Yale Activities Abroad for guidance on approved options for obtaining cash or cash equivalents in support of Yale-related travel and Yale activities conducted outside the U.S.

The Yale Purchasing Card does not normally support cash withdrawals from ATMs. If an urgent need for cash to fund Yale activities arises while you are traveling, please contact the Office of the Controller, Treasury Services, at (203) 432-4474 or

The University issues travel advances only to travelers who are ineligible for the Yale Purchasing Card or when extended travel or unusual circumstances are involved. Please refer to Policy 3305 for additional information or contact your business office.

Last updated: