Health Insurance and Travel Assistance Programs Summary for Overseas Travelers
Below is a summary of medical insurance and travel assistance program coverage available to the Yale community. For more comprehensive information about program coverage, visit the websites for each of the programs listed below.
- Students enrolled in Basic + Hospitalization/Specialty Coverage have medical insurance coverage for emergency and urgent care medical needs while overseas, including emergency room services, emergency medical transportation, urgent care visits, and services related to emergency/urgent care treatment. Pre-authorized follow-up care for emergency and urgent conditions is also covered. Co-pays apply. Refer to the 2017-2018 Student Handbook for details (accessible from Student Coverage). Note that students who are not eligible for Basic + Hospitalization/Specialty Coverage (e.g., for students participating in junior year abroad, registered in absentia, or taking a leave of absence) may enroll in Yale Health Affiliate Coverage. See p. 11 of the 2017-2018 Student Handbook for enrollment deadlines, payment information, and instructions.
- Employee members of Yale Health have medical insurance coverage for emergency and urgent care medical needs while overseas, including emergency room services, emergency medical transportation, urgent care visits, and services related to emergency/urgent care treatment. Co-pays apply. The member must notify Yale Health within 48 hours of treatment and submit reimbursement claims to the Yale Health Claims Office. Refer to the Yale Health Employee Member Coverage Booklet for more information.
- Employee members of Aetna have medical insurance coverage while traveling overseas. Coverage mirrors that provided to the employee for healthcare received in the U.S. Members are responsible for paying for medical services and submitting claims to Aetna for reimbursement. Refer to Yale’s HR Benefits webpage to access Aetna plan documents.
International SOS Travel Assistance and Medical Care Coverage:
- Effective January 1, 2019 Yale’s travel assistance program is through International SOS (ISOS). All current Yale students, faculty, employees and their immediate family members are automatically enrolled with ISOS. Travelers on Yale-related business (including students traveling on study abroad programs, doing research, attending conferences, or student organization travel) have coverage through International SOS for up to $250,000 in out-of-country medical expenses for treatment for accidents or sicknesses that occur while traveling. This coverage includes 14 days of personal travel deviation. If a traveler extends his/her trip, either before or after the Yale business component of the trip, e.g., to tour the area or visit another country, this coverage will still apply up to a maximum of 14 days.
Note: This coverage does not apply to travel for 100% pleasure purposes (vacation, family business, etc), but evacuation and assistance services are still covered.
Note: This coverage does not apply to treatment rendered in the United States.
Note: This coverage does not apply if the traveler is traveling to his/her country of citizenship.
Travel Health Insurance (e.g., HTH):
- Supplemental travel health insurance plans are typically designed to provide up-front payment for certain medical services received overseas. Travelers using supplemental travel health insurance should review plan documents carefully prior to travel to understand what medical services are covered and what coverage limits may apply. Coverage, for example, may apply only to emergency and urgent care and related diagnostic services and prescription drugs up to a certain limit, e.g., $100,000.
- Insure My Trip is an online tool for helping travelers compare and identify appropriate international travel health insurance coverage. The International Operations & Compliance Committee has not reviewed the information on that website to verify its thoroughness or accuracy and therefore travelers are advised to do their own due diligence before using this site and purchasing insurance.